William is an experienced tutor specialising in German, Maths and History to GCSE and A Level, as well as common entrance preparation.
He studied Modern and Medieval languages (German and Russian) at Pembroke College Cambridge, where he received a College exhibition. He specialised in German, spending his year abroad in Berlin. Alongside language work he also took papers in intellectual and political History from the History faculty in his finals. In addition to academic work, William was very involved with debating at university, reaching the final of numerous national competitions and ran debate work shops for both university and school students.
William took his A Levels in German (A), French (A), Mathematics (A) and History (A) and GCSEs (9 A*s, 1A) at St Dunstan’s, where he was an academic scholar.
He has extensive experience both with group/classroom teaching and one-on-one tutoring. This includes:
– Weekly group revision sessions for A Level Maths and GCSE Maths
– GCSE Maths tutoring to over a dozen students
– A Level History tutoring to three students
– GCSE German tutoring to three students, for one of whom as their sole teacher with A* attained in the GCSE (the other two attained A* and A respectively)
– Group debate coaching
– Teaching critical thinking in a summer school for teenagers interested in debating and politics
– 7+, 11+ and 13+ tutoring
– Help with university application
William is a friendly, approachable and good humoured tutor who aims to balance the need to cover syllabus material thoroughly with the flexibility required to address a pupil’s specific needs. He aims to instill confidence, subject knowledge and passion as well as help develop the thinking skills required for a given subject. He has experience with pupils of a wide range of different abilities and is sensitive to a lack of self confidence pupils might have in a given subject.
Alongside tutoring he has also done worked as an out of house translator for a market research company. His other interests include cooking, contemporary philosophy and comedy.